MidWest Division SCCA Formula B 1969
A relative backwater for Formula B, the Mid West Division was won for the second successive season by Gene Forsthofel in a Formula Ford Lotus 51. Not far behind was Warren Flickinger in a mystery Chevron, one that can't easily be accounted for by known movements of those cars.
The quickest car in the division may well have been Matt Spitzley's ex-Tasman Brabham BT21B which had picked up 9 pts in its extradivisional travels.
|1.||Gene Forsthofel||Lotus 51||Kansas City||33 pts *|
|2.||Warren Flickinger||Chevron||Colorado||27 pts|
|3.||Harvey Woodward||Lotus 51||Kansas City||24 pts|
|4.||Philo Hatch||Lola||NEOkla||11 pts|
|5.||J. Ellingson||Lotus||Colorado||10 pts|
|6.||Norm Harvey||Blitzwagen||Rio Grande||9 pts|
|7.||R. Mathew Spitzley||Brabham (BT21B)||Colorado||9 pts *|
|8.||K. (Keith) Saunders||Lotus (41)||Rio Grande||6 pts *|
|9.||Robert Schutt||Lotus 51||St Louis||6 pts|
|10.||Tom McEntire||Cooper Special||Kansas City||4 pts|
* Indicates total includes points earned out of home divisions.
Keith Saunders also appeared in the SouthWest Division table, the pointskeepers apparently being unsure which division owned the Rio Grande Region.
|20 Apr 1969||Stuttgart Airport||Arkansas Region|
|04 May 1969||Shelby County International Raceway||Mid South Region|
|06 Jul 1969||Ponca City||Oklahoma Region|
|27 Jul 1969||Lake Garnett||Kansas City Region|
|02 Aug 1969||Continental Divide||Rio Grande Region|
|17 Aug 1969||Lake Afton||Wichita Region|
|21 Sep 1969||Mid-America Raceway||St Louis Region|
|12 Oct 1969||War Bonnet||Northeast Oklahoma Region|
Midwest Division sources
Although Competition Press was more concerned with west coast and east coast events, the major midwest events were covered reasonably well. However, we know little of the goings-on away from these events and are are keen to acquire or borrow 1960s, 1970s and 1980s copies of SCCA regional publications from this Division. The key ones are:
- Checkpoint (Kansas City Region)
- Course Record (Arkansas Region)
- The Echo (Southern Illinois Region)
- Exhaust Notes (Nebraska) - full archive available at nrsccahistory.com.
- Gasket Gazette (Oklahoma Region)
- Neokla Observer (NE Oklahoma Region), renamed Sports Car Observer in 1980
- The Offside Undo (Kansas Region)
- Redline (Colorado Region)
- Steerin’ Column (Mid-South Region)
- Wheelspin (St. Louis Region)
- Witches Wail (Wichita Region)
We are also keen to get scans of entry lists from SCCA Nationals for this division.